Bone Density is a safe and painless test used to determine the strength of your bones. Bone density testing is often performed to help diagnose osteoporosis or osteopenia. Osteoporosis is a medical condition that causes bones to become weak and brittle, which can result in compression fractures of the spine or hip.
RISK FACTORS FOR OSTEOPOROSIS:
- Age: Risk of osteoporosis increases with age
- Gender: Risk of osteoporosis is higher with women than men, especially for women during menopause.
- Race: Caucasians and Southeast Asian descent are at higher risk
- Family History: Family history of osteoporosis increases your risk of developing osteoporosis
- Frame Size: Thin or small framed people are at higher risk
- Tobacco Use: the use of tobacco increases your risk of developing osteoporosis
- Lifestyle: Chronic alcohol use, depression, excessive soda consumption, eating disorders, low calcium intake and sedentary lifestyle all increase your risk of developing osteoporosis.
This test helps to estimate the density of your bones and your chance of breaking a bone.
Gold Standard GE Lunar Prodigy DEXA Scanner
To schedule your procedure, contact Community Wide Scheduling at 573-883-4488