SGCMH is a Member of the MidAmerica Stroke Network
The Network provides member hospitals with 24-hour access to neuro-specialists, express transportation services for stroke patients, and state-of-the art technology for consultative and diagnostic services. In turn, the Network’s member hospitals must show a continued commitment to stroke services, resources and quality monitoring.
Saint Louis University Hospital, a certified Stroke Center of Excellence by
the Joint Commission and home to the MidAmerica Stroke Network, created the
Network in late 2007 to promote quality stroke care measures throughout the
region. Employing medical consultations remotely via enhanced visual
technologies, SLUCare neuro-specialists assist medical teams in emergency rooms
at participating Network hospitals by offering consultative and diagnostic
services in potential stroke cases. The neuro-specialist can fully evaluate the
patient’s condition and vital signs in order to determine the best
How the Network Operates: A Step-by-Step Guide
1) A patient presenting with stroke symptoms arrives at a
MidAmerica Stroke Network member hospital for treatment.
2) The member hospital’s emergency team performs a complete
neurological assessment of the patient and administers the appropriate
3) The attending physician then determines that the patient
requires further neurocritical care and calls the MidAmerica Stroke Network
hotline to page the SLUCare neuro-specialist on-call for additional medical
4) After receiving the page, the SLUCare neuro-specialist
consults with the member hospital’s attending physician.
5) Then, the SLUCare neuro-specialist assesses the patient’s
condition and vital signs in order to determine the appropriate treatment to
help stabilize the patient.
6) If the collaborative medical team determines that the
stroke patient’s condition cannot be effectively stabilized on-site at the
member hospital, a rapid transport to Saint Louis University Hospital is
7) The stroke patient promptly receives the necessary
medical treatment upon arrival at Saint Louis University Hospital.
8) Saint Louis University Hospital then discharges the
stabilized stroke patient back into the care of the member hospital for
continued treatment and follow-up care.