Information on Breast Cancer
What is Breast Cancer?
Breast cancer is a malignant tumor that affects the cells in the breast. These cancer cells invade breast tissue and can also spread to the rest of the body. Breast cancer can affect men and women. There are a number of types and stages of the disease.
Causes and Risk Factors
The cause of breast cancer is unknown but there are many risk factors that increase the chances of breast cancer in women. Listed here are some of the common risks associated with breast cancer.
• Family History
Common Signs and Symptoms
The following are some common signs and symptoms of breast cancer:
• Hard knot or thickening of the breast
• Swelling and redness
• Change in breast size or shape
• Dimpling and puckering of the breast
• Itchy or scaly skin
• Bloody or clear nipple discharge
• New pain in breast
Types of Breast Cancer
• DCIS – Ductal Carcinoma In Situ
• IDC – Invasive Ductal Carcinoma
• IDC Type: Tubular Carcinoma of the Breast
• IDC Type: Medullary Carcinoma of the Breast
• IDC Type: Mucinous Carcinoma of the Breast
• IDC Type: Papillary Carcinoma of the Breast
• IDC Type: Cribriform Carcinoma of the Breast
• ILC – Invasive Lobular Carcinoma
• Inflammatory Breast Cancer
• LCIS – Lobular Carcinoma In Situ
• Male Breast Cancer
• Paget's Disease of the Nipple
• Phyllodes Tumors of the Breast
• Recurrent and Metastatic Breast Cancer
For more information on breast cancer or to schedule your appointment at Metis Breast Care Center call 573-483-2525.