SGCMH Women Health and Wellness Services
A Word About Menopause
Menopause affects every woman. It is a time in a woman's life when her periods (menstruation) eventually stop and the body goes through changes that no longer allow her to get pregnant, a natural process that normally occurs in women age 45 - 55. Menopause can lasts for 1-3 years and it is complete when you have not had a period for 1 year however, your period will slowly stop overtime.
Women experience menopause when her ovaries stop making eggs and her body produces less estrogen and progesterone hormones. The decreased production in the two hormones causes menopause symptoms. Women can experience a variety of symptoms and each woman’s experience can be different, some can be worse than others. Symptoms could last up to 5 or more years. Common menopause symptoms include:
• Menstrual periods that occur less often and eventually stop
• Heart pounding or racing
• Hot flashes, (can be worse during the first 1 - 2 years)
• Night sweats
• Skin flushing
• Decreased interest in sex, possibly decreased response to sexual stimulation
• Mood swings including irritability, depression, and anxiety
• Urine leakage
• Vaginal dryness and painful sexual intercourse
• Vaginal infections
• Joint aches and pains
• Bone loss
We focus on individualized preventative care during peri-menopause and menopause. We offer non-hormonal and bioidentical hormonal solutions to menopause.
Blood and urine tests can determine if you are close to menopause. The tests can identify any changes in your hormone levels. A pelvic exam can also be performed to look for decreased estrogen that causes changes in the lining of the vagina. Your provider may order a bone density test to determine if you have bone loss related to osteoporosis that can occur during the first few years after your last period. Once menopause is complete the next stage for a woman is called postmenopause.
For more information contact our Women’s Wellness Services, we offer two locations to serve you.
• Ste. Genevieve County Memorial Hospital, 800 Ste. Genevieve Dr., Ste. Genevieve, MO 573-883-5715
• Bloomsdale Medical Centre, 255 Boderman Lane, Bloomsdale, MO 573-483-2727