During your treatment you are likely to meet several health professionals who will perform the various tests and treatments your doctor recommends. By talking with the professionals who care for you, you will come to understand more about cancer and its treatment.

These are some of the specialists you may meet and hear about:


A doctor who administers drugs or gases to put you to sleep before surgery.

Clinical nurse specialist
A nurse with special knowledge in a particular area, such as postoperative care or radiation therapy.

Medical Oncologist
The doctor who administers anti-cancer drugs or chemotherapy.


Doctor who examines tissue removed by biopsy to see if it is cancerous.

Personal physician
Your doctor, who will be responsible for coordinating your treatment and working with you to ensure that treatment is satisfactory. Your personal physician may be a surgeon, radiation oncologist, medical oncologist, or family physician. Physical Therapist-A specialist who helps in rehabilitation after surgery by using exercise, heat, light, and massage.

Plastic surgeon
Doctor who specializes in reconstructive and cosmetic surgery. Plastic surgeons perform breast reconstruction.

Radiation Oncologist
Doctor who supervises radiation therapy.

Radiation therapy technologist
A specially trained technician who helps the radiation oncologist give external radiation treatments.

A doctor who performs surgery-such as a biopsy and mastectomy and axillary node dissections.

Email Print Decrease Font Size Increase Font Size Text Size

Physician Search