History - Our Timeline
Ste. Genevieve County Memorial Hospital (SGCMH) is a not-for-profit; county-owned critical access Hospital governed by a community-elected five-member Board of Trustees. SGCMH opened in 1969 as a 35-bed facility with 42 employees.
Growth and Expansion
- 1972, the hospital expanded through renovations that were financed by another bond issue, which passed by an overwhelming majority of county voters
- 1978, the hospital increased its capacity to 53 beds
- 1980, the emergency room; surgery department, laboratory, and x-ray services were upgraded and expanded
- 1993, A 21,000 square foot addition to the original building added a new health education wing, an outpatient rehabilitation facility, and an expanded specialty physician clinic. The expansion addressed the community’s need for wellness programs and expanded outpatient services.
- 1996, the hospital converted the lower level to house new outpatient programs added to the hospital's growing range of services. The space accommodated an occupational health clinic, a cardiac and pulmonary rehabilitation program, an office for hospice services, and a new headquarters for respiratory therapy, as well as space for data management administration.
- 2001, a new oncology facility opened adding 1,500 square feet to some existing space. Patients were then able to receive treatments in private rooms affording them comfortable surroundings and privacy. A testimony to the community's commitment was the successful fundraising effort for a new oncology department that raised $300,000 from local donors in less than 11 months.
- 2001, the same year another expansion was the successful opening of the Bloomsdale Family Health Care, a physician office located on Meyer Lane.
- 2004, In April SGCMH purchased a local primary care practice and medical building keeping its two physicians and nurse practitioner in the community. The newly acquired medical office building also permitted the relocation of another physician and nurse practitioner to accommodate the overall expansion of that practice
- 2004, the hospital also assumed ownership of the local 120-bed nursing home, Riverview-at-the-Park Care and Rehabilitation Center. The hospital retained ownership of Riverview until October 2009
- 2007, the hospital broke ground for a new Emergency Department
- 2008, In September the doors opened to the new state-of-the-art Emergency Department
- 2009, In December work was completed on remodeling the front entrance of the hospital
- 2012, the new Bloomsdale Medical Centre opened
- 2014, Genesis Med Spa joined the hospital
- 2015, Surgical Center expansion opened
- 2016, Central Monitoring System at SGCMH and 3D Mammography implemented at Bloomsdale Medical Centre
- 2018, Second 3D Mammography system for the hospital location
Today, our healthcare organization includes the 53-bed licensed acute care hospital, which received Critical Access Hospital Designation (CAH) in 2005, and eight local physician practices. We employ over 380 individuals with a medical team comprised of over 100 active, courtesy and consulting providers.